Piclet.org Prize Africa has announced a call for entries for the 2016 edition of POPCAP, an international prize for contemporary African photography. In a recent press release on africanliterarymagazines.singlestory.org, the organization explains that the photography contest is focused on works of photography artists that engages stories or themes that are related to Africa and/or its diaspora. Among the prize package is global exposure of winning candidate photographers at major international photography exhibitions.
Works submitted for the contest are said to judged according to the following criteria: “exposure focus/sharpness, colour and/or tonal rendition and lighting.” Furthermore, “visual and aesthetic criteria include framing and choice of viewpoint, design elements and principles, appropriate application of photographic and/or manipulative techniques, and visual impact.”
Moreover, applicants are admonished to note that “content [that has information, emotion or mood or feeling, relevance, and subject impact” are most required, as well as “general characteristics like originality, style, context, photographic vision, empathy, insight, and validity.”
The entry photographs are to be submitted via POPCAP’s website. Each prospective entrée or applicant is expected to register for an account on the website and then upload their series of images and a project statement.
The following are the submission criteria as stipulated in the press release.
- Photographs must have been taken in an African country or deal with a diaspora of an African country.
- The emphasis of the competition is on image sequences. Images must work together as a whole. We are NOT looking for single images or fashion/advertising/studio work.
- Eligible are submissions comprising between 10 and 25 images.
- Submitted images should be a minimum of 2500 pixels in width/height at 72 dpi and be no more than 5 megabytes in size.
- Should your work be chosen for exhibition, we will ask you to supply high-resolution files that are suitable for print.
- Collaborative projects are permitted. Entrants must be sure to note this in the description accompanying their submission.
- NOTE ON COPYRIGHT: The images remain the property of the author and POPCAP requires a license to use the images in relation to the competition and promotion of the competition only. Photographers will be consulted, should we wish to use their work in any other context.
- POPCAP is open to photographers of any age and descent.
Finally, the organization states that there is no entry fee for the contest. The deadline for submissions is stated, moreover, to be February 7, 2016.